Wednesday, December 01, 2010

"Cruel To Be Kind" - I Don't Think So

Someone once told me that you had to be cruel to be kind.  I tend to disagree. I prefer to be kind to others whenever possible, however 'cruelty' is not acceptable in my books because that kind of behavior can leave everlasting scars on someone. Violence is a cruel way of inflicting suffering. It is considered as being cruel.


According to book two of Aristotle's "Rhetoric" kindness is one of the emotions, which is defined as being "helpfulness towards someone in need, not in return for anything, nor for the advantage of the helper himself, but for that of the person helped".
Kindness is considered to be one of the Knightly Virtues. Some folk will offer their kindness to others even if it's just to see someone else smile.

There is no definitive list of virtues, and other proposed virtues include:


Courage
Justice
Mercy
Generosity/Charity/Liberality
Faith
Nobility/Valour
Hope
Diligence/Strength
Chastity/Integrity/Truth
Humility/Prudence
Will/Determination/Resolve
Kindness Day UK is on November 13th - What act of kindness were you involved in on this date? 

Are you kind by your very nature or does it take one day a year to make you think about being kind? 

I'd like to think I was kind on other days other than just 13th November. My act of kindness is very rarely spoken about by myself.  If i am feeling kind I do not need prompting and it's something which comes from the heart. It is nice when it's recognised, however I don't need to advertise the fact that I was being kind. 

When I have been kind to someone else in whatever small/large way, then I don't really look for thanks for it unless of course my act of kindness was made noticeable and it required the simple good manners of a straight forward "thank you" from the person ie., holding the door open for someone else is just a good gesture of kindness and it is good manners to thank a person for this. It's just pure common sense which tells you when to say thank you, however there are the odd occasions when one can make a slip up and forget ie., If someone has been extremely busy then sometimes they can overlook someone else's good deed, particularly if they have a lot on their minds. Try to forgive and try not to hold that against the person. If my kindness happens to be extra special then it's always good when it is acknowledged, but I never rave on about my good deed of the day because I'm British and I can get a stiff upper lip sometimes. ;)

Always remember to say "Thank you" to those who are recognised for their good deed/s. :)

Thank you Kindly. I love you all. You know who you are. :)

"Cruel To Be Kind" by Nick Lowe


SmileyRose  x

No comments: