Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Surprise Surprise

Someone I was speaking to recently seemed extremely surprised to learn that I was born in another country. The person presumed and thought that I was very English purely by my mannerisms and the way in which I spoke.

LOL I suppose I am, but some of the English folk would say differently. :) I remember when I was at one of my primary schools, one of the young children in my class once told me to "Go back to my own country." He taunted me and he called me a 'Paki'. I wasn't even born in that country either.  When I tried to explain to him that England was my own country, he asked me why I looked a funny colour. What a sad child he was. I remember one of the teachers hearing his comments and she told him off in no uncertain terms. She came over to give me a huge hug to console me because she could see the young boy had upset me. You see the boy just would not stop going on about it and he was becoming quite tiresome to say the very least. I suppose I lacked confidence at that age because when you are taunted about the colour of your skin often enough and you are made to feel different, but you are not different to anyone else in your own mind, you can feel a little insecure at times. It is not as if I had a different culture or religion to many others in my class, the only difference was, was the colour of my skin. I began my life here in England back in the 60's when times were a little different back then. :)

My father had been stationed at RAF Butterworth, Penang, Malaysia for 2 yrs (other than that I have no other connection with the country) and when I returned to the UK with my family I looked even more suntanned than I did usually. It had been so hot out in Malaysia in the year I returned to Britain and that particular year I became very brown. :) The little boy had been a little cruel to me because he lacked good manners. I could only blame it on his parents at the time.:)

I have lived here in England ever since I was barely 6 months old. I went to school in England (or when living abroad with the RAF I attended an RAF school). I speak only the English language. Both of my parents only speak English too. Most of my long term friendships are of English/British origin. So why the big surprise? :)

I loved this programme and the song. "Surprise Surprise" by Cilla Black


SmileyRose  x

No comments: