Saturday, December 17, 2011

Proud of My Roots!

I think everyone should feel proud of their roots and where their families originate from....I know I'm very proud of mine. :)

Most of you know about my English/Scots roots/background...which I am indeed very proud off, however I am also very proud of my Indian roots too. I was born during the British raj in India in a British hospital. My parents both lived within an Anglo-Indian community at the time. Although I was brought up in England and I came to live in England when I was almost 6 months old (my Mum's family all lived here already)....I am still very proud of my roots in India too although I have never celebrated any of the Indian culture in my life before....nor have I ever visited India on a holiday before either. :)

I have never held a birth certificate before because I was born in India where they did not issue such things. Instead we were only issued with a baptism certificate because the custom in India was to christen babies within a month of them being born. We were issued with baptism certificates instead. It always caused a few problems when work places/other authorities asked me to produce a birth certificate....which I didn't have. :)

My Anglo-Indian culture...means that because I was brought up in England I was only brought up speaking the English language and my family only celebrated the British christian celebrations. I'm also very proud of the fact that I hold only a British passport...which shows my appreciation of being British and I wouldn't want to be anything else but! :)

My Dad was in the Royal Air Force which is also something else to feel very proud off. We were brought up with respect and the knowledge that my Father could be sent out to war at any time during his RAF career. I am so glad and thankful he always came home to us though. :)

I don't have a problem with anyone elses culture however I am mostly proud of my own culture as I think we should all be proud of this fact. I am proud to be British and I am also proud of my roots too. :)


Famous Anglo-Indians: :)

Frances R A Napper (Aka SmileyRose) - Me :)

Sir Cliff Richard @ Harry Webb
Sir Ben Kingsley
Sir Salman Rushdie
Englebert Humperdinck @ Arnold Dorsey
Rudyard Kipling
Alistair McGowan
Peter Sellers
Ben Sharma
Melanie Sykes
Boris Karloff
Diana Quick
Frederick Roberts 1st Earl Roberts
George Orwell
Patience Cooper
Shelley Conn
Ruskin Bond
Rhona Mitra
Philip Meadows Taylor
Frank Anthony
Anna Leonowens
Roger Binny
Stuart Clark
Henry Gidney
Rory Girvan
Pete Best (drummer for Beatles)
and Actress Joanna Lumley was born in British India.

We're a dying race. ;)


SmileyRose x

No comments: