Thursday, May 31, 2012

Foreign Friends

I really don't mind having friends from all around the world. Some of my friends come from Cyprus, India, USA, Germany and Poland but mostly from the UK :)

When it comes to relationships I have my preferences and ideals. :-)  I once dated a guy who lived in England with his parents.  English was not his first language.   I remember him taking me to meet some of his friends and family.  They were all such lovely folk however I found it extremely awkward being in their company because when he conversed with them he often spoke in his own language. 

I often felt very left out as I could not understand what he was saying, nor could I understand what some of his relations/family were saying either.

Relationships such as this can work sometimes however I must admit that I found it a little awkward myself.

Although I was born abroad I was actually brought up in England from the age of 6 months old.... to a Mother and Father who only speak the English language. I don't speak another language as such however I can speak a little school girl French (not much though). 

All of my previous relationships were only with men who spoke the same language as me. I promised myself that I did not ever want to be in the same situation as I have mentioned above.  It works for some folk. I do not have a problem with other folk and how they choose to live their lives...I can only speak for myself and I have always been quite adamant about a few things in my life. :)

The kind of man I would have relationship with would have to be: Kind, sincere, speaks English, clean, tidy and has a good sense of humour. Is that too much to ask for? :-)

None of the above has anything to do being prejudiced....but more to do with the kind of person I would rather be in a relationship with. I much prefer good communication.  ;-)

Ps

I think all of us can be a little particular about those folk we prefer to be in a relationship with.  Religion and gender can also become very important when it comes to being in a relationship with someone. For instance I would much prefer someone who was the opposite sex to me (male) and who was also from a Christian background.  I have nothing against those who practice a different religion to me or who have same sex relationships though...I just would not have a relationship with them. :)

SmileyRose x

No comments: