Saturday, January 04, 2014

Stamford And The Ghosts Of My Past

A few years ago I found myself in a very lonely situation. I was going through a divorce and I felt very scared and alone. I was living in my old home town of Stamford at the time and I spent many days taking long walks around the old town trying to get over a sad stage in my life. Sometimes I would bump into a few old friends in the town, one or two would stop and have a coffee with me, however some of them quite often hurriedly said 'Hi' and they passed me by.

I suppose nobody really wants to hear your sad woes, not that I talked much about my divorce as I am quite a private person when it comes to my private life. In other words, I don't really mind telling people what I don't mind them knowing, however there are a lot of things which I prefer to keep private.

Divorce is always a very sad situation for anyone to find themselves in, but nobody else really knows what to say to you at the time. I think many folk would much rather avoid you rather than to stop and have a coffee, with the exception of just a few. :)

I sometimes chatted with some of the elderly folk around Stamford, many I'd known since my childhood. Some were parents of old friends who had moved away from the area. We'd sometimes chat and pass the time away.  I used to frequent one particular cafe and an elderly gentleman I'd known for many years used to frequent the same place. One day he beckoned me to go and sit with him and he bought me a cup of tea. We sat together and we chatted.  It's amazing how much you can learn from the elderly folk sometimes. I loved our conversations together. He told me about some of the old stories and his childhood. He of course grew up in the same area, therefore I found him very interesting to listen to.  We once walked over the Stamford Bridge together and we stopped to look at my favourite willow tree on the Stamford Meadows. He told me how old the tree was. I used to call her Old Mother Willow. It's the very same willow tree I used to sit underneath and read during those long hot summer months when I was a teenager. I saw the gentleman quite frequently and I would often pass the time of day with him.  I even got to know his good lady wife.

I visited my folk in Stamford recently and whilst I talked with them, they mentioned that the gentleman I became so fond off had recently passed away.  I was very saddened by the news.

During the times I would sit and talk with the gentleman, there was one song which used to play on the radio rather a lot. It will always remind me of the him.

My thoughts and prayers are with his dear wife.

RIP Mr Christie X

CLICK HERE: STOP LIVING THE LIE

SmileyRoseFrances x

No comments: