Monday, March 03, 2014

"The Book Thief"

This afternoon started with me going for a good  2 1/2 mile walk around Ferry Meadows, Peterborough.  It was a little breezy to say the least, however a friend and I struggled whilst we walked against the strong winds.  It was lovely to see some of the blossoms just appearing on the trees. Very pretty indeed. :)

Although I was feeling rather tired after my walk, I decided to go and do a little shoe shopping. Goodness only knows how many pairs of shoes I have now, however I managed to find just what I'd been looking for, therefore I came home feeling very pleased with myself.  A little bit of retail therapy never did anyone any harm ;)

Later in the evening, after dinner,  I went to see "The Book Thief" at the Showcase Cinema. The film was very good indeed :) There were lots of very touching moments in the film. Yes I had teary eyes....It was definitely worth a watch. :)

A Little Spoiler

"The Book Thief" starred Geoffrey Rush, Emily Watson and Sophie Nelissse as Liesel Meminger.

The film is an adaption  of a novel by Australian author Markus Zusak. It told the story of a young girl named Liesel who is sent to live with foster parents during World War II Germany. It shows how she transforms the lives of many folk she comes into contact with, which include a young Jewish man who is hidden in the basement of the house during the escalation of war.

Liesel acquires herself a little job whereby she is asked to visit the mayor in order to drop off laundry. Ilsa, the mayor's wife introduces Liesel to her library and its books. The mayor isn't pleased therefore he eventually discharges Liesel. She breaks into the library and begins "borrowing" books from Ilsa's library, hence earning the nickname "The Book Thief". :)

Himmel Street, where her family and friends all live, is bombed. Her foster parents and best friend Rudy are all killed during the attack. She is saved and rescued from underneath all of the rubble. The mayor and his wife go to search for Liesel.

Liesel has a fondness for books. She loved to read. In fact she reminded me very much of my own daughter, Catherine, LOL I don't think I've seen her in recent years without her reading or writing something! Ever since she was a 3 year old she has had a great fondness for reading books. . ;)

I'm not going to be a great spoiler here, however the film was excellent and I thoroughly recommend watching it. :)

I am really tired now.  Good night. :)


SmileyRoseFrances  x

No comments: