Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Another Of My Father's Postings - Aww I Have Nice Memories. :)

I was chatting to a work colleague today. I was reminded of Malaysia and how much I love Malaysian food. :) 

When I was young my Father was posted with the Royal Air Force (RAF) to Malaysia for a couple of years. He was based at RAF Butterworth and we resided in Penang. I have some lovely memories of Penang and the good cuisine. My favourite food was Nazi Goreng, it was delicious. I had my first taste of Nasi Goreng when I was 5 yrs old. I remember going to school and telling my then teacher all about it. LOL bless her! Her name was Mrs Cuthbertson and she was my first ever primary school teacher. She loved listening to all of my escapades. I remember telling her about the ride I had in a rickshaw. Of course I couldn't get over the fact that a man was pulling us around in this funny looking vehicle. I was so excited to tell her about it. Bless her heart, Mrs Cuthbertson chose me to play the Angel Gabriel in the School Nativity Play because I think I entertained her with all of my chatter. I also have some great memories of visiting Tiger Balm Garden. The monkey's always seemed so tame as they would approach you if they saw you with peanuts. They were very gentle and so adorable. :)

We used to have an Amah by the name of Mary. She was really lovely. I remember her taking me to her village and introducing me to all of her family and friends when I was a young primary school girl. I attended a Military School called Minden Barracks and my Dad was based at RAF Butterworth. 

I have memories of my Mum taking me to see my Father off to work. Most children wave their parent/s off in their cars/buses etc LOL I used to wave my Father off to work on a Ferry!!! Eww I will never forget the time he was running late and he tried to jump onto the Ferry, only he misjudged the jump and held on to the side of the ferry for dear life until someone came to rescue him. It wasn't a clever thing to do at the time as he was injured fairly badly. 

I have memories of our next door neighbours. They were called Rose and Watt. LOL they both invited us to their home once and Flying Fox was on the menu. LOL it was a Malaysian delicacy. It tasted very nice until we found out what it is we were eating They both thought it was very funny when we decided not to finish the dish. ;)

Whilst residing in Malaysia I remember attending a local wedding. It was fabulous and the food was fabulous too. It was indeed very sad leaving the country after my Dad's tour ended and we came back to the UK. I have fond memories of Penang. :)

 http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/187/nasi+goreng

SmileyRoseFrances x

No comments: