Friday, January 30, 2015

The Voice :)

I am amazed that some people tend to call me a foreigner, just because I was born outside of the UK. The fact that my passport says I am British, I have only ever attended British schools, I only speak the English language, my family only speak the English language, I am not adopted (none of my family are adopted), I left the country I was born in at the age of 5 months old and I have never visited the country since I left. Most of my family and friends are all British born, I did not come to live in the country illegally and the fact that my father did his full service with the Royal Air Force etc  it doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference as far as some folk are concerned.  If this is the case, I think all foreigners working in jobs requiring good communication skills, here in Britain, ought to speak with the same standard/level of English, as me!

I was once told that I had a nice BBC voice and many folk have complimented me for speaking well. Not bad for a foreigner. :)

I don't think it really matters where anyone is born as it's all a matter of how you perecive yourself that really matters ie your language, your culture, your religion, how you are brought up etc which makes a difference. For instance, someone who is adopted from birth to a family living in another country, not necessarily the country he/she was born in, would you expect the poor child to grow up feeling confused just because he/she wasn't born in the country he/she grew up in?

LOL I know of someone whose foreign parents gave birth to him in England however he grew up in another country, he doesn't speak the English language, but as far as his passport is concerned, he is shown as British born. Does that make him English?

We can all feel proud of our roots, but they're not always roots we know first hand about, particularly if we are brought up elsewhere and particularly if we don't even speak the same language of the country we were born in. 

I think the immigration laws in Britian need looking at as it seems we have so many folk living in Britain who really ought not be be living here.....particularly folk who live here and who don't support this country in the slightest! Thinks it's a bit much when someone claims benefits but they don't want to work, even though they're capable of working or they are living in Britain purely for the benefit system, foreign or British, it's not good!  I know there are also genuine folk out there who would ideally like to find work, but they can't find a job, I feel sorry for them. Thinks when folk can't speak the language very well, it is perhaps harder for people to seek work, which is why I think everyone living in the country should learn to speak the language to a good standard....and as I am a foreigner, like me. :) 

Come on Britain. You can't have it all ways. If I'm a foreigner because I was born outside of the UK, then you should all be speaking the same level of English as me. This is England after all! :)

SmileyRoseFrances x

No comments: