Thursday, January 29, 2015

No! I Do Not Speak Another Language! Just English :D

I was once asked to interpret for a person who could not speak the English language,  because it was assumed that I could speak their language! It was embarrassing at the time....particularly when I asked the person what language he was expecting me to speak to the gentleman, because I can only speak fluent English! :D

Let me enlighten a few folk! Just because someone is born in another country, some may even look foreign, it does not necessarily mean you can speak the language of the country you were born in though. English is indeed my first and the only language I can speak! :)

Lots of people move around the world and they marry other folk from the other countries, it's not unusual! It's all a matter of where you were schooled, where you grow up that matters....and what language your parents taught you as a child.. Just because you are born in England, it most certainly does not make you special! I am tired of the sarcasm, when some folk tell me they are English...and they refuse to be called British!  The truth is, they're just as British as I am! :D

This made me smile! :)  I was recently asked if I learnt to speak another language from one of my parents! How could I when both of my parents only speak the English language!  The same person couldn't understand how I could speak the language, without having a foreign accent. :D

You can be born anywhere in the world but you can tell a lot about how someone is brought up by finding out about their culture, religion and what language they speak.

I was born in a different country. I came to live in England when I was 5 months old.  Both of my parents could speak the English language already when they came to live in the UK. It wasn't so hard for them to fit in with the way of life in this country because there was no language barriers, they dressed in westernized clothing etc.  Wonders why some of the folk in England think I have a different culture to theirs or that my religion is different to theirs....or why they think my language is any different to theirs?  How dare they assume I speak another language! I don't even have a foreign accent!

I didn't learn to speak the English language at school, my parents taught me how to speak, read and write before I even began school!  My parents, were taught  how to speak the English language by their parents.  Why do some folk continue to assume they're better than me because they were born in England! My Grandmother was born in England too....and so were my siblings and both of my children.... so what! They didn't/don't think anything less of me because I was born abroad, so why should anyone else! :)

This tickled me! I told someone my father was in the Air Force and they assumed I meant he was in one of the forces in a different country! My father was in the Royal Air Force and being in the British Royal Air Force meant that he was prepared to fight for his country.... and not any other country!

....Finally, I consider myself to be my children's first teacher. They could both read and write before they went to school. Thinks this helped considerably, particularly as Catherine recently graduated with a first in English, with honours. She has always loved reading. :) I don't think it is a primary teacher's duty to teach the basics to your school child ie., writing their name, discipline etc should be taught at home. I do not think it should be a teachers duty to teach primary school children how to speak basic English within a class full of pupils who should know the basics, before they start school.

So! The next time someone assumes that I can speak another language, please don't assume! :)


SmileyRoseFrances x

No comments: